Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, December 01, 2013

Children's thoughts

At the Hope House, we always try competitions to enable the girls to learn newer things.  This competition ("How the Hope House has a made a difference in my life") is to learn what the girls are thinking about the services that they receive at the Hope House in 500 words.  

Participants were never told that the winning entries will be on the blog but rather it was only an in-house affair but when they presented the contents, we sought their permission to publish which they have graciously agreed.  We present their write up unedited. 

1st Prize Winner (H. Priya - 10th grade)

My name is H.Priya.  I am studying in 10th standard.  I have been in the Hope House for the past eight years.  Now I want to share with you all the changes that the Hope House has made in my life and of all the new things I have learnt and the power of leadership that I have got.

I joined the Hope House in the year 2006.  Then I was studying in 3rd standard.  Then I did not know my tables in math, but within a year I do not know how I was taught to recite up to 5 tables, then I did not know to read Tamil, but everyday they would make me sit and read Tamil books and thus slowly I learnt to read and write the language well.  I never knew how to talk with respect, I was taught how to talk respectfully. So, when I went home for the summer Holidays, my family told me that the Hope House had changed me a lot and were proud that I had learnt to talk with respect.

When in 4th standard, I learnt to read and write the months of the year the days of the week and one to hundred.  Then we were asked to recite the tables from top to bottom and bottom to top, with a result till today I remember the tables well.

After my 5th standard I was admitted in the Higher Secondary school.  Then we would get both Tamil and English News papers.  But I would read only the Tamil paper.  After prayer at 6.30 a.m. in the morning, English and Math’s test would be conducted.  I could  not understand the head or tail of it but I would write the test.  As we were eager to learn English we were taught phonics and we were also encouraged to read the bible in English and also pray in English.

When in 7th standard with the use of thread on the Globe, we were taught how Export and Import took place and with the use of the map we were taught countries and continents.  I used to listen keenly, by the end of my 7th I was able to sing a song, read the bible and pray, and then we were taught to pick one verse from the Bible everyday and meditate on it.  Through this I learnt who are fools, who are wise and who are true friends.

A big change came in me when I went to the 8th standard. I got a desire to study well and that is when I started to understand all that I learnt in General Knowledge (GK) questions, English words and phonics, Friday nights would be quite time and this increased our knowledge.  Whenever we asked questions, without any hesitation or anger we would be taught and encouraged to do better.  Since we found it difficult to memorize science, often they conducted science exhibitions where we had to do them.  We were taught leadership qualities and that is the reason that I was able to give a speech in English in front of 2000 people at my school.  When I think of this I feel so happy.  Whenever we go for jogging, we had to learn two new English words and the meaning for them and recite with correct pronunciation.  This increased my knowledge of English a lot now we all excel in English and if I am doing so well in English now it is because of Hope House. If Hope House had not given me such encouragent I would not be in 10th standard now. 

2nd prize winner (Bommi - 12th grade)

Introduction
My name is Bommi. It is only Gods great  grace that I got this chance to be in the Hope House.  All the facilities that we don’t have at home I get here.

From the start to date:
When I came to the Hope House I never cried because all who were here looked after me with such love and affection.  From the time I came I have learnt many new things.  At home we never had any prayer but after coming here as a small child I learnt to pray.  I am still following it.  In Sunday school I learnt many good things from the Bible.  All in the Hope House encouraged me to study well.

The most special event in the Hope House was my first birthday celebration,   I wore my first birthday celebration, I wore my new dress happily, got blessings from aunty and grandma and went to school.  All the little, simple things I did was appreciated and they sat with me and taught me while I did my home work.  When I think of all there.  I am overwhelmed.

I learnt many things at the prayer conducted every morning at 6.30 a.m.  I learnt to say sorry, to forgive others, to speak the truth, not to hurt the feelings of others.  I even got the prize for reciting Bible verses.  We were taught what the world is and how to live a good life.  These things made me a good girl.  The Hope House taught us leadership  too.

The Hope House will always be a good father, mother, a good teacher, and friend.  As parents they take care of our needs, as a good teacher they helped out in my studies as a good friend they solved my problems.  A television was bought to increase our knowledge. We are taken out for dinner to hotels.  I have never heard at all these in a hostel and all these are very special to me.  In Hope House we girls prepare the menu for our daily food which is not seen or heard anywhere.  To learn how to save for our future and how to handle accounts, they have opened account in the post office for each one of us.  All these special things are a great gift to be one in the Hope House there never will be a hostel like this anywhere and I say that the Hope House is the number one hostel in this world.

The Hope House is my large happy family.  My wish is that the Hope House should become world famous.  I love Hope House.

No comments: